Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Anchors Aweigh

I finally made the leap.  I jumped from one ship to another.  I hesitated because I thought I saw a bigger and stronger ship approaching on the horizon and I feel it's always better to make one ship-jump rather than two whenever possible.  (Otherwise people might start to call you a ship jumper, and rightfully so if you've made a habit of it.)  But because I never want to be caught waiting for a ship to come in, I jumped to the one that's here right now and still sailing in the direction I want to go.  If that big ol' ship does end up coming my way, I'll be ready for her and deal with it then.

Would you like me to translate that from nautical metaphor into plain English?  I switched commercial agents this week!  I still have some wheels in motion that could lead to offers from some others in the near future, but I didn't want to miss out on this opportunity to be rid of these guys in case those wheels fall out of motion.  I generally try to avoid this rapid trading-up situation, but timing isn't always perfect, so I'll have to work with what I'm given.  (Someone told me this is also called monkey barring, as defined here, with a reader comment that couldn't have illustrated my opening paragraph better than if I had written it myself... Oops, I probably just lost that reader!  Well, it was just a matter of time before I offended someone anyway.)

So my new agent and I are about to embark on a new journey, the length of which is not entirely clear at the moment.  But one thing is for sure... I will book, and in new territory.  I've already been on television for several commercials.  At one point, I had three running at the same time.  But thus far, they've all been non-union.  

Time to get serious about all this.  Let's make some waves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment