Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Wisdom in a Grocery Store Elevator

On my way home from work today I stopped at the grocery store to grab a few necessities.  As I was rushing out of the store, eager to get home in time to meet the repair man in my apartment for a leaky faucet, the universe delivered a profound piece of wisdom in the form of a six year old boy.  As the small group of strangers huddled in the elevator, anxiously waiting for the doors to open so we could get on with our lives, the boy held up the snack in his hand and excitedly said, 

"I have a yummy fruit role-up.  It's the best day ever!!"

We all smiled and the boy's mother said, "Don't you wish a fruit role-up could make you that happy?"

Every adult half-chuckled in agreement... and half sighed, disappearing into their own history.  As we stepped out, all the strangers wandered off to their respective cars, but I just stopped.  As I stood there with a grocery bag hanging from each hand, I realized that we all need to find that level of happiness in the small things in life.  To let even a fruit role up give us the best day ever.

As I started towards my car, I made a promise to myself that I would make sure tomorrow is a fruit role-up kind of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment