Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Everything I Need to Know About My Acting Career, I Learned From Moving Apartments

You may think that not much of what you learn while moving can be applied to your acting career, but you would be wrong.  During the sixty or so trips it took to carry all the boxes of books and dinner plates from my apartment to my car and back into my new apartment, I realized there was a lot about this situation that reminded me of the struggle to build a career in Hollywood.  We may not be moving boxes, but our profession is the career-equivalent of moving mountains.  Here are the lessons I learned, about moving and career alike, during the twenty plus hours I spent hauling my ass up and down three flights of stairs this weekend:
  • It's not something that can be done overnight.  It's just not.
  • It's a daunting process that begins well before you pack your first box, and can only be accomplished by focusing on one step at a time. 
  • In the beginning, you spend obscene amounts of time researching the market, knowing what's available, and making sure you're ready to pounce when the pefect opportunity arrives.
  • You're constantly reminding yourself to remain optimistic even though, if it doesn't work out, you could potentially be homeless in the very near future.
  • It can be difficult if you catch yourself envying the people in places that are a little out of your reach.  But in those moments, try to remind yourself that two years ago, you were wishing to be where you are right now.  Who knows where you'll be in another two years.
  • There may be a lot of mediocrity out there, but there are some spots that are just waiting for you to move in.
  • Paying $30 to workshop apply is a freaking racket, and hugely overpriced, but it's also an unfortunate reality.
  • You could be a seasoned pro with great credit(s) and nothing to worry about, but there's still something nerve-wracking about waiting to hear back after you do your audition, I mean application.
  • It's difficult to throw in so much money up front, but it's an investment in your future.
  • It will force you to evaluate everything in your life and get rid of stuff that doesn't fit, doesn't work, doesn't support you or just plain doesn't make you happy.
  • You can plan everything to the last detail and be as prepared as humanly possible, and stupid stuff like rain will still happen and it's completely out of your control.  It just means you need to grab a towel, not throw it in.
  • There will be moments when you curse the day you chose a third-floor walk up without an elevator and wish you would have chosen something with a path that's a little easier, but you'll keep dragging your ass up that climb because nothing beats the view from the top.
  • Others may have had the luxury of enough cash to pay someone to do the hard work for them, but guaranteed you know the true value of your belongings because the steps are stained with the sweat it took you to get them there.
I've missed you, wonderful readers.  The move combined with a rapid influx of auditions took so much out of my time that I was only able to write to you a pitiful eight times last month.  But know that you were on my mind constantly and I have much to update you on.  It's an ordeal, but it's finally over.  I'm all moved in, unpacking and anxious to get back on track with focusing my energy on hustling after my next audition instead of my next mailing address.  

On to the next adventure!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad I ran across your blog! It is always good to see other actors out there chasing their dreams. Re: the $30 application fees... Ridic, right? I just did the Gold Rush cheer tryouts... $20 if you pre-register and 400 girls tried out, they made AT LEAST $8k on us. Every dance audition I've done my whole life has been that way. When I was younger and auditioning for professional ballet schools that was a big limiting factor. It shouldn't be like that.

    ReplyDelete