Thursday, October 27, 2011

There's a Reason I'm Not a Window Washer

It's a funny thing we do, getting paid to sit in front of a camera and talk.

It's pretty universally accepted that the number one fear among adults is public speaking.  The average person loathes standing in front of a roomful of people and have the entire crowd become silent, turn to him, and wait for him to speak.  It instills panic and paralysis in the bodies of a majority of people.  Ask them to tell a story and mouths dry up, palms sweat, lumps begin to form deep within throats.  Put a camera in that person's face?  Forget it.

Yet today, I auditioned for a national commercial.  I happily stood on my little X and enthusiastically delivered my testimonial-style copy that will hopefully someday be broadcast to millions of viewers from Eastport, Maine to Kekaha, Hawaii. 
And I LOVED every minute of it. 

My parents used to always have me come out and tell jokes or stories to the room whenever they had company.  And I was always that little kid who somehow managed to get my face in every picture that was taken within a one-mile radius from wherever I stood at any given moment.  I guess I'm still that little kid.  The only difference is that now people are paying me to do it.

I'm slightly nervous around heights, spiders aren't my favorite creatures, and I'm deathly afraid of retrieving a spoon that's fallen into the garbage disposal for fear that it will spontaneously turn on...  But getting up to speak in front of a few million people or a camera 6 inches from my nose?  Yeah, that I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment