Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Patience Isn't The Only Virtue

Inevitably, there are moments in this life as an actor when you just have to wait.  There’s no way around it.  It’s part of the game.

Right now, I’m waiting for news after a callback with a potential new commercial agent I would love to have.

I’m also waiting to hear back on a film audition I had on Monday, in which I had to pantomime a tennis serve.  Also a front and back stroke.  Without a racket.  (All while wondering if the short tennis style skirt I wore with my polo was revealing more to the casting director than I had intended.  I did not expect them to put me up on a little stage… hmm.)

Then there’s waiting to film the new media series I just booked, but they’ve decided to recast one of the other characters.

All that in addition to the waiting for a number of my other efforts to pay off… an industry connection getting me in to read for a new pilot at her production house, casting director workshops, mailings, etc…

But, I refuse to fall in the sinkhole so many actors settle into… as Dr. Seuss describes it, The Waiting Place.  Waiting for the phone to ring, a big break or someone to say, “Yes.”  If I feel myself sliding in that direction, I always remember this story:

Two young brothers are walking together to the bus stop.  As they arrive, they see the bus just pulling away and leaving them.  One brother immediately starts after the bus, and the other kneels down and prays.  The running brother yells, “What are you doing?!”

“I’m praying for another bus.”

“No!! You gotta RUN and pray!!”


Patience and prayer/visualization/hoping (whatever you believe in) has it’s place and certainly helps.  But kids, you wanna make it in this business?  You gotta run while you pray!!  Keep moving and pushing forward, even when you’re just waiting.

So tonight, instead of sitting at home waiting for a phone to ring, wondering when I’ll get that first big break… I’m putting together introductory cover letters and submissions to twelve new casting directors on my target list, and outlining what else I can accomplish on my own this week.  I’m wanna sprint while I pray!!

No comments:

Post a Comment