Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Anonymous Patriot

I may be an eternal optimist, but I'm not naive. The whole Sony-The Interview debacle could be one master-mind, sadistic, manipulative publicity stunt that we're all playing into.  Anything is possible. Smarter people than me have been duped before.

But if that truly is the case, they've duped our own government too. They've taken the exercise so far as to involve the FBI, the CIA and to elicit multiple statements from the POTUS himself. That's one helluva publicity stunt, on par with dialing 911 for a non-emergency. You can face jail time for that shit.

However, maybe it's because I am an eternal optimist, I have a little more faith in our government. I believe if it truly were a publicity stunt, we would have heard that by now. I believe Sony really was hacked. I believe they were told it was in response to The Interview. I believe Sony was really intending to pull the movie until the overwhelming support of the people flooded their doors and they realized that not showing the movie was a mistake. A mistake that bled all the way to the first amendment of the constitution of the United States.

The Interview is a movie I would have paid little attention too. I probably would have skipped the theater and just checked it out when it popped up on Netflix. I really couldn't care too much about the movie itself, but because it has become such a symbol of the freedom of speech, you bet your ass I've already bought my ticket to see it at one of the few places in LA where you can in the next few days. I'm going because no person nor nation state has a right to tell us what movies we can or cannot make. As Obama so eloquently put it, "That's not who we are. That's not what America's about."

Okay I'm a patriotic sap. So what. But it's not just about what we do here in the star-spangled 'Merica. It's about the freedom for anyone around the world to have the right to criticize an oppressive regime. Sorry if you don't like that, boys. You've been overruled.

No comments:

Post a Comment