Thursday, October 10, 2013

Love And Marriage

Well, I'm back in town.  Yahoo!!

After I lost out on the last film I was hustling last month, I impulsively jumped on an early flight back home to spend much needed extra face-time with the family I rarely get to see because I spend my life in toiling away at this Hollywood grind.  I went back this time for the longest stretch ever since moving to the City of Angels: nearly three weeks.  The sometimes-aggravating-but-ultimately-wonderful thing about going back to my old stomping grounds is that it's a bit off the grid... cell and wifi service can be quite spotty, especially up at "the cabin", my parents' second home in the sticks.  It can be a bit frightening being out of touch for days at a time, but in the end it is so refreshing to disconnect and just be.  No phone calls. No emails.  No texts. No breakdowns.  No auditions.  No Facebook. No blogging. (Sorry about that last one.) After the first few days, it is so incredibly freeing.

I spent a glorious amount of time off the grid this trip.  Not only were we at the family cabin for a long weekend, but my big sister married the love of her life at a mountain lodge in an equally disconnected locale.  The ceremony was beautiful, despite a little rain and a few hiccups, and I couldn't be happier to welcome my new brother-in-law to the family.  I stood next to my sister as her Maid of Honor and have to say, it was one of the most powerful experiences of my life.  I love her more than words, though at times it can seem like we are polar opposites. (Example? If given the choice I'm pretty sure she would choose to lose a finger over public speaking... and yet, like the actor-nerd that I am, I was looking forward to getting up in front of all the guests to give my speech.  Guess I got that gene.)

As only true opposites do, while my sister was joining together with her man, I and mine parted.  Great mutual respect and deep affection for each other unfortunately could not overcome what we both knew would be fundamental differences in how we each defined our priorities in our foreseeable futures.  We are both sad to let go of the romance between us, but take comfort in the wonderful new friendship that will remain in it's place.

Above all, I am back in town again and you know what that means...  It is time to shake off the dust and oil the creaky wheels because this Hollywood train has got to keep moving.  Let's get after it. 

Giddy up.

No comments:

Post a Comment