Monday, April 3, 2017

Make Your Own Break

Okay Mom. I'm here, see?!

Yeah, you read that correctly. My mother has been not-so-subtly hinting that I've neglected my blog. She is completely right, of course (as mothers often are.) I have neglected you, readers. And the truth is I've cheated on you. A lot.

But please, let me explain. This is a weird instance where cheating is actually a good thing!

You see, I've been writing elsewhere. In recent years, I too have come to realize what many other actors fighting for a place in this business already have. Being a good actor isn't enough. Being attractive isn't enough. It won't get you through the door. It won't get you ahead of the pack. You have to be more. You have to give more. You have to make your own break.

I cheated on you by writing my own feature. It took months; years actually. Guys, it's great. It has gotten competition attention. It landed me an Oscar nominated mentor. It has given me a profound sense of control over my career. It has transformed me from desperate to audition actor into a creator.

But guess, what? It's still not enough. I still don't have offers flooding through my door. It has to get made before it really starts turning heads. That is my next challenge.

There's also another feature and three shorts coming down my writing pipeline... So unfortunately that means I've written for you less. But I'd like to come home to you, because I've missed you.

It has been a long road in the past few years --  as I am sure it has been for you -- but we don't have to do it alone. We can do it together. And we should.

Ahhhh. It feels good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment