Sunday, November 13, 2011

Everything I Need to Know About My Acting Career I Learned by Running Marathons


I ran my first full marathon last year mostly just to cross it off my bucket list.  But as I started to train, I realized it was teaching me about my acting career in more ways than I ever expected:
  • Most people are content to stay at home or cheer from the sidelines, but you're actually out there doing it.  Be proud of that.
  • Don't kid yourself, this is really tough.
  • Reaching the finish line will be a lot easier and less painful if you do your work to prepare.
  • Reaching the finish line will be a lot easier and less painful if you have fun along the way.
  • You may be surrounded by countless people, but you're really only racing yourself.
  • Your body will always, without fail, try to give you every excuse to trick you into quitting.  You have to remember that the mind controls the body, the body doesn't control the mind. 
  • You will have good days as well as off days.  Learn to accept that and just keep putting one foot in front of the other.
  • It takes serious time and effort, and there are no shortcuts.
  • Reaching the finish line is totally possible and feels ridiculously good.
  • Ten feet past the finish line, start to plan where your next finish line will be.
The only time the Southern California sunshine is annoying is when it's been cloudy for two days so you wear long track tights and sleeves to run the Malibu Half Marathon like I did this morning.  It wasn't my best race, but I finished and collected another nice little medal. 

And to the girl with the beautiful "You inspire me" sign one mile from the finish.  Whoever you are, thank you.  I loved that sign.  It made me think of you, readers.  I was passing the 12 mile marker and I couldn't wait to finish to tell you about it.  You inspire me to keep running... and to keep up this Hollywood grind.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment